JOB TITLE: APPRENTICE
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
GENERAL SUMMARY:The Boston Standard Apprentice is responsible for assisting in the install and servicing of plumbing, heating and cooling units, following all applicable codes, under the direction of a Technician. The Apprentice is also responsible for learning the plumbing, heating and cooling professions by participating in: on the job training, attending educational courses & trainings and following the coaching and teaching of the Technician and/or Managers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides basic plumbing, heating, cooling and drain cleaning support services for customers at the direction of a Technician.
- Develops basic knowledge of plumbing, heating and cooling principles through on the job learning, courses/trainings and reading of educational materials during downtimes on the job site.
- Develops basic knowledge of service tools and testing devices.
- Develops soldering skills to support the Technician.
- Develops skills to perform planned maintenance on residential systems with assistance of a Technician.
- Installs hang stickers and valve tags, as well as distributes flyers in the surrounding area as instructed by the Technician.
- Responds to all forms of communications, including voicemails and emails, by the end of business the same day received.
- Assists Technicians in maintaining clean, neat vehicles and job sites and projects a clean, well-groomed professional appearance at all times.
- Attends group meetings and training, as needed. Participates in monthly and special company meetings, as appropriate.
- Works with Technicians, Service Manager, and Install Manager to mutually establish performance improvements and seek out ongoing education/training opportunities.
- Uses good judgment and self-control in areas wherein the company entrusts him to maintain company and customer confidentiality.
- Sets an example in being punctual and dependable. Reports to work promptly. Responds immediately to emergency calls during back-up “on-call” shift.
- Perform other duties as assigned. This may include performing duties that are outside of the scope of normal job duties.
- Establish a sound positive work relationship with all members of the Boston Standard team. Must be able to listen and implement all suggested feedback received.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Prior plumbing, heating and/or cooling experience with a service company preferred.
- Ability to take direction and engage in continuous learning.
- Demonstrated excellent communication conflict resolution and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member and pitch in as needed.
- Computer skills and use of electronic devices for invoice creation and communication to staff required.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or GED.
- A minimum of one year field experience is preferred.
- Physical ability to perform all requirements associated with this position.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions required for this position.