If you own a home in Boston, sewer problems can do more than make a mess. They can also be expensive to fix! There is a program you should know about that may help relieve the cost of fixing problems that arise with your lateral sewer connection. The lateral sewer connection is the pipe that carries wastewater and materials from your home to the sanitary sewer system.

Not every break in a lateral sewer will qualify for financial assistance from the Boston Water and Sewer Commission (BWSC), but the repair costs for some breaks may be partially or fully covered by a $3,000 grant from BWSC. Breaks that qualify for financial assistance are those where:

The lateral sewer or drain is partially or completely collapsed
The collapse or blockage is located in the public right-of-way

The homeowner’s account with BWSC must be current. Buildings that have previously received grants to repair blocked or collapsed sewers are not eligible for additional assistance.

The first step in diagnosing and correcting the problem is to call a licensed Boston plumber, like Boston Standard Plumbing & Heating. If we cannot clear the blockage, BWSC will come out to verify the blockage or collapse and determine where the problem occurred. If the problem is in the right-of-way, BWSC will provide eligible homeowners with additional information to get the blockage repaired under the program. Once the work is completed, BWSC must come back out to your property to inspect the repairs.
Under this program, the property owner is responsible for paying for the repairs, but BWSC will issue a check for the cost of the repair or $3,000, whichever is less. It’s important to follow all of the program rules to ensure that you receive any reimbursement you’re eligible for.

If you think you have a qualifying collapse or sewer blockage, please contact us at Boston Standard Plumbing & Heating. Call (617) 362-0377 anytime. We’ll attempt to clear your lateral connection, provide you with advice and help you contact BWSC if we believe you’re dealing with a serious sewer blockage or collapse.

DIY Blog, DIY Plumbing

Skip to content